Saturday 26 January 2008

Rhapis Humilis - Indoor or Out?


Apparently this is extinct in it's native China with only males ones remaining in cultivated existence. So, beware of so called 'seed sellers'... without a female there will be no seeds!!!
This palm really hates the sun - when young at least it would seem. I had a real battle with my 3 foot high one last Summer. The Summer heat didn't get any higher than 26 degrees C either. I was moving it all over the garden and it didn't seem happy anywhere. Just about all of the top leaves died off due to sun-scorch. I was so upset as this palm is pretty hard to get hold of.
I am keeping it indoors now, but again it doesn't seem too happy there either. There is new growth, but I think it is still in shock from the previous Summer.
Well, in any case, this palm is a really good candidate if you have a lot of shaded room which isn't too damp. It doesn't like to dry out, but doesn't like to be wet either. It gradually clumps with new shoots popping up close to the parent clumps (unlike a lot of bamboos). It is VERY slow growing however... dunno if this is due to the climate? So if you can find one try and get a good size.

No comments: