Monday 28 January 2008

Brahea Edulis


A little looked at fan palm which is really beautiful when young. Pure shiny green in colour and although ‘officially’ is supposed to be damaged at -5 in a dry Winter I have found this not to be the case. It is also said not to like humidity... again I have not found this to be true either.

Mine spent all last Summer in a cool, damp, shaded area of the garden, primarily due to the fact that i had nowhere else to store it. To my amazement it didn't seem to care? It pushed out 4 leaves that Summer (2007, which was a really naff Summer in the NW by the way). I then moved it to the patio this Winter and it has endured a constant beating of rain and temperatures down to -5 while being drenched with water (both soil and foliage). It has even pushed two more leaves out during this Winter !!!!

I am amazed at this palm’s perseverance contrary to common perceptions and hope, should we get worse negative temperatures, it will muscle through them too. I’ll keep you posted!!!

No comments: